Southeast Archeological Center archeologists Rusty Simmons, Amelia Jansen, Edith Gregory, and Kevin Porter recently returned from a metal detecting survey at Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park. Their work was focused around the Wallis House, located on a parcel recently acquired by the National Park Service through a donating by The Cobb Land Trust, Incorporated, the same organization that partnered with the Kolb Farm Coalition to facilitate the park’s acquisition of the historic Kolb Farm – the site of the bloody May 1864 Battle of Kolb Farm.
The Wallis House was built by Josiah Wallis about 1853 and abandoned upon the approach of General Tecumseh Sherman’s armies. It had been used as a Confederate hospital. During the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain served as General Sherman headquarters during the Battle of Kolb’s Farm and as Union ’s headquarters during the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain.