These historic ceramics were excavated from Fort Pulaski National Monument on Cockspur Island, Georgia as part of a 2008 survey that involved both remote sensing and excavations. These artifacts date to the 18th to early 19th centuries, approximately 1780-1830.
Fort Pulaski was constructed between 1828 and 1847 as part of a system of defenses to protect the Atlantic Coast. The men who constructed the building were military men assigned to duty at Fort Pulaski, skilled and unskilled laborers, and enslaved Africans rented from local plantation owners. They lived in temporary structures near the fort.
Before the construction of Fort Pulaski, there had been two other forts on Cockspur Island: Fort George and Fort Greene. Previous archeological work and investigations into historic documents have indicated that Fort Greene may be located in the area of the Workman’s Village. These artifacts contribute to our understanding of the chronology of the area.
SEAC ACC 2219.2
Catalogue #s: FOPU 2955-2957, 2994